What to do Pictures of Italy

HOLIDAY


Palermo

THE CHINESE MANSION

written by Cedric Mills

Ostuni città bianca

The first building was built by Advocate Benedetto Lombardo in Chinese-style wood.
Ferdinand de Bourbon had bought this land together with neighbours and had it rebuilt by the architect Giuseppe Venanzio Marvuglia in 1799.
He kept the Oriental-style: the main body ends up with a pagoda roof, supported by an octagonal drum.

On the ground floor there are arcades with pointed arch and at the two sides there are towers with spiral staircases. The ballroom and the room in the basement of the hearings are all decorated by Velasquez.
The first floor houses the reception room in Chinese style paintings with fabric panels by Riolo, the dining room with the ingenious "math table" of Marvuglia and the King's bedroom with the ceiling painted in Chinese style by Velasquez.
The apartment consists of two rooms with reception and bedroom while the dressing room was on the second floor.
The top floor is a terrace of octagonal shape, covered with a pagoda, with a ceiling decorated by Silvestri.

In 1800 he settled the back garden and Joseph Patricolo created the "Chinese temple". Performed during the "Italian flora" with white marble basins and natural caves to China. After the Second World War the house and the Park went to the State and can be visited.

  • External view
    External view
  • External view
    External view
  • Chinese paintings
    Chinese paintings
  • The inside
    The inside

PALERMO: OTHER GUIDES

  • Interlude Hotels & Resorts – Dream, Feel and Be Amazed

    written by Redazione Visit Italy

    Whether it is to visit the busy coastal cities of Palermo and Messina, two favourite haunts for cruise ships on the island of Sicily, Stagnone or taste Nubia’s red garlic, Interlude Hotels & Resorts is the answer. This group of hotels and... continue

  • The Catacombs of the Capuchins

    written by Alexandra Evans

    The Catacombs of the Capuchins are found in the Capuchin convent adjoining the Church of Santa Maria della Pace. These are built on structures existing at the time. The tunnels were dug at the end of the sixteenth century and form a large... continue

  • Palazzo Sclafani

    written by Chiara Guzzetti

    The feudal lord Matteo Sclafani, Earl of Adernò, was in constant competition with his brother, who built Palazzo Chiaramonte.Sclafani's response to this was precisely to raise close to the Norman Palace the Scalfani Palace, in 1330. In 1435 he found... continue

  • The Basilica della Magione

    written by Chiara Guzzetti

    Its official name is the Basilica of the Holy Trinity of the Chancellor but is commonly known as the Basilica della Magione. The church was founded, along with the Cistercian abbey, by Chancellor of the Kingdom Matthew Norman Ajello in 1191. Henry... continue

  • The Cathedral of Palermo

    written by Alexandra Evans

    We know with certainty that this place existed in the first Christian cathedral of the city in the fourth century, although we are not sure if today's church is something of this. In the ninth century with the arrival of the Saracens it was... continue

NEWSLETTER
FOLLOW US
facebook twitter google
CATEGORIES SUGGESTIONS
PRACTICAL INFORMATION

Contacts

Terms of use

VISITITALY FOR COMPANIES

Request information about our business online services directly to our experts.

Or call us at

help desk
HELP DESK
0289368926

from monday to friday

from 09.00 – to 13.00

from 14.00 – to 18.00