What to do Pictures of Italy

HOLIDAY


Palermo

ST JOHN OF THE HERMITS

written by Alexandra Evans

Ostuni città bianca

The Church of St. John of the Hermits is a symbol of the city of Palermo and it is an episode of its rich repertoire of architecture. Its red domes that give an impression of the East are perhaps the best known of the city.

Although today it is desecrated, it was once the residence of the abbot confessor of the king. It was built by Roger II in 1132, probably over the remnants of an Arab mosque. Its name comes from the ancient monastery of St. Hermes, which stood, at the time of Gregory the Great, in the very same place.

The compact space outside oppose some forms of games inside, with geometric and angular spread of light that filters through the openings, playing an important role in the perception of space. In the esoteric symbolism the square and the cube give an idea of clarity and stability - the symbol of man and the human as the circle and the sphere, giving the feeling of movement, perfection; eternity is therefore the divine sphere . The unit of space is perfectly preserved by the harmony of numbers and proportions, depending on mathematical aesthetics of the Middle Ages.

  • External view
    External view
  • Courtyard
    Courtyard
  • Internal view
    Internal view

PALERMO: OTHER GUIDES

  • Interlude Hotels & Resorts – Dream, Feel and Be Amazed

    written by Redazione Visit Italy

    Whether it is to visit the busy coastal cities of Palermo and Messina, two favourite haunts for cruise ships on the island of Sicily, Stagnone or taste Nubia’s red garlic, Interlude Hotels & Resorts is the answer. This group of hotels and... continue

  • The Catacombs of the Capuchins

    written by Alexandra Evans

    The Catacombs of the Capuchins are found in the Capuchin convent adjoining the Church of Santa Maria della Pace. These are built on structures existing at the time. The tunnels were dug at the end of the sixteenth century and form a large... continue

  • Palazzo Sclafani

    written by Chiara Guzzetti

    The feudal lord Matteo Sclafani, Earl of Adernò, was in constant competition with his brother, who built Palazzo Chiaramonte.Sclafani's response to this was precisely to raise close to the Norman Palace the Scalfani Palace, in 1330. In 1435 he found... continue

  • The Basilica della Magione

    written by Chiara Guzzetti

    Its official name is the Basilica of the Holy Trinity of the Chancellor but is commonly known as the Basilica della Magione. The church was founded, along with the Cistercian abbey, by Chancellor of the Kingdom Matthew Norman Ajello in 1191. Henry... continue

  • The Cathedral of Palermo

    written by Alexandra Evans

    We know with certainty that this place existed in the first Christian cathedral of the city in the fourth century, although we are not sure if today's church is something of this. In the ninth century with the arrival of the Saracens it was... continue

NEWSLETTER
FOLLOW US
facebook twitter google
CATEGORIES SUGGESTIONS
PRACTICAL INFORMATION

Contacts

Terms of use

VISITITALY FOR COMPANIES

Request information about our business online services directly to our experts.

Or call us at

help desk
HELP DESK
0289368926

from monday to friday

from 09.00 – to 13.00

from 14.00 – to 18.00