The convent complex of San Francesco al Corso dates to the thirteenth century. In 1935, Antonio Avena, director of the civic museums, opened to the public the so-called “Tomb of Juliet”.
This site, according to legend, is where the sarcophagus holding the bodies of Romeo and Juliet was placed, and it naturally became a tourist attraction.
The annexed “G.B. Cavalcaselle” Fresco Museum, inaugurated in 1975, houses fresco cycles from Veronese buildings dating from Medieval times through the sixteenth century as well as nineteenth-century sculpture, while the church of San Francesco houses grand-scale works on canvas dating from the sixteenth to the eighteenth centuries.
The underground level contains a collection of Roman amphorae from the first century B.C. found during excavations in the area. Medieval and modern lapidary material (both architectural and sculptural) is housed in the courtyard, pending the installation of a definitive lapidary exhibition.