The Savoy had already a collection of Egyptian antiquities in ‘700, which were added to the exhibits and statues brought from Vitaliano Donati, sent to Egypt by Carlo Emanuele III. In 1824 Carlo Felice bought the collection of approx. 8000 items to Drovetti Bernardino, Consul General of France in Egypt, providing it with the current location creating, in fact, the first Egyptian museum in the world.
The exhibition is divided into three floors and a visit to the most important things of the collection takes not less than two hours. On the ground floor, in the two rooms of the Statuary, two sphinxes are shown with the face of Amenhotep III, a statue of a goddess with diadem, the monumental statues of Amenhotep II, Ramses II in black basanite, Sethi II, Princess Redi, the Group of King Tut and the god Amenca III, the statue of Thutmose III and large stone sarcophagi.
In the next room the temple of rock Ellesija, dating from about 1450 BC, was rebuilt. We find tombstones and gravestones and funerary customs documented: mummies, sarcophagi, canopic jars, statues, amulets, and "Books of the Dead."
More important papyri are among the 'the other' material, like the list of the pharaohs of Egypt to the seventeenth dynasty, or the Papyrus of the tomb of Ramses IV. Other precious relic is the "Mensa Isis," a bronze tablet with depictions of religious ceremonies in honour of the goddess Iside. In the sarcophagi section there are examples of high quality stone, but also very interesting collection of mummies of sacred animals, connected to worship of deities.
The library specializes in Egyptological books and it has a fund of more than 6000 volumes.