The Duomo of Parma is an imposing Romanesque cathedral which was completed in the 12th century.
The dome is particularly interesting because of its rich decorations by the Renaissance painter Antonio da Correggio representing the Virgin’s Assumption.
The belfry is Gothic and was added in a second stage, between 1284 and 1294. originally there were meant to be two belfries but the second one was never even begun.
The atmosphere in the church was magical and it was very hard to get back on track and to... reality!
Next stop was Palazzo della Pilotta. The name Palazzo della Pilotta comes from "pilotta", or else the pelota - a basque game that was played in one of the building's courtyards.
This very nice palace, which looks vaguely incomplete - and probably was - was built by the Farnese family between 1583 and 1622 and was meant to be a court service building annexed to the Ducal Palace.
The palace has three courtyards: the Cortile di San Pietro Martire (which is now known as Cortile della Pilotta), Cortile del Guazzatoio and the Cortile della Racchetta.
Today the Palazzo della Pilotta is the home of three museums (the national archaeological museum, the national Gallery and the Bodoni Museum), a library (the Palatine library) and art school (Scuola d'arte Toschi) and a theatre (Farnese theatre).