Located in the historic center of Naples, the Basilica of Santa Chiara, stands out for its Gothic style.
It was built in 300, by order of King Robert of Anjou, and the work was entrusted to the direction of the architects Gagliardo Pirmario and Leonardo Vito.
The story goes that the king, in commissioning the basilica, would meet the wishes of his wife, Sancha of Majorca, who was deeply drawn to the cloistered life. In 1943, the church suffered the bombing, was partially destroyed and was later restored in the Gothic style.
The Basilica of Santa Chiara, with one nave, is housed in a citadel formed by the Franciscan Poor Clare Convent and the Convent of the Minor Friars.
The whole comprising a monastery was later transformed into a fantastic garden. Today it is a true museum complex where you can admire the Majolica Cloister, the Museo dell'Opera di Santa Chiara, the Archaeological Area and the wonderful nativity scene made of 700 during the reign of Ferdinand IV of Bourbon.
Inside, many valuable works of the eighteenth century are also preserved.