is a city in the province of Siena
. Its history is closely connected with its role as the centre of trade: in 1086 the inhabitants of the surrounding areas began to gather on the valley floor of the Massellone to exchange the goods.
After the Second World War, its lands were depopulated but by the end of the seventies, the old houses have been renovated and are now home to farms.
Monuments and places of interest
to visit are many: Pieve di San Vincenti
; the church of San Bartolomeo a Vertine, from which come two famous masterpieces today housed in the Pinacoteca of Siena
: the Madonna of the Recommended by Simone Martini, and the triptych of Bicci by Lorenzo that depicts the Madonna and Child with Saints Bartholomew, John evangelist, Mary Magdalene and Anthony Abbot (1430).
To see is the Chapel of St. giaio
in Castle of Brolio
with its crypt in which are buried the members of the Ricasoli family, and the Oratory of Panigiani.
On the back wall of the Oratory is painted the Madonna enthroned, surrounded by angels and saints, with the Child in her arms: the Child holds a bird in his left hand and a precious stone in his right hand, a symbol of the Good News. To the right, is the fresco of the Madonna of St. Michael the Archangel trampling the dragon and weighs souls on the other hand, St. Francis with the Rule in his left hand, a crucifix in his right hand and the stigmata on the feet and hands . On the two side walls the figures of Saint Anthony Abbot, represented with pig - Saint Lucia, which is showing the symbols of her martyrdom, St. John the Baptist, with his inscription: Ecce Agnus Dei, St. Peter with a book in a hand, St. Luke the Evangelist, St. Mary Magdalene, dated 1496.
The castle of Meleto has been owned by the Ricasoli family until 1968: Today belongs to the company Viticola Tuscany, with 1,000 hectares of land around. It is a beautiful castle flanked by two round towers and a theater of the eighteenth century.
The Abbey of Coltibuono is surrounded by big forests of fir. The current owners are the family Stucchi Prinetti that have turned it into a farm famous in Italy and abroad.