Located in the province of Lecce in the region of Apulia in South eastern Italy, Cutrofiano has a history dating back to the time of the Roman Empire. It also has survived the destruction caused by the Turks during the 15th and 16th centuries. There is evidence to say that from the ancient periods this area has been producing ceramic products. It is believed the community got developed here due to the presence of clay required for the ceramic industry.
The town experienced an exodus of people from there in the 60s due to better job opportunities being available in Germany, Switzerland and Belgium. However, when electricity, water supply and sanitation facilities were provided to the rural areas later, the living condition of the people improved and both agriculture and industries were developed.
There are a few ancient sites that are worth paying visits in this town. A church dedicated to our lady of the snows which has been built in the seventeenth century and renovated many times afterwards is there. Another church with an octagonal floor which is called the church of the Immaculate Conception that has been built in 1772 is also a good attraction for visitors. Palazzo Filomarini is an ancient place which you could visit.
Cutrofiano is well known for its artistic ceramics. For a long time the workers used to collect yellow clay available there and process it manually to create their artistic ceramics. However, with the emergence of machinery for the same purposes they are able to create better products with lesser effort. Some farmer’s weave baskets during rainy winter days and these are made out of shoots of olive trees and with cane. Cutrofiano is also known for wine production. Vineyards of its mountainous areas produce high quality grapes used for this purpose.